By: Brianna A.
|Time:||50 min (30 min to prepare, 20 min to cook)|
|Number of Servings:||4|
1 each 1 pound (450g) small white or Great Northern beans, soaked
1 each 2 onions, each stuck with 2 cloves
1 each 1/2 cup (125ml) dark brown sugar
1 each 2 tablespoons molasses
1 each 2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 each 1 teaspoon Salt
1 each pepper
1 each Salt & liquid smoke to taste
|* Cook the beans in unsalted water for 1 hour.
* Drain and reserve the liquid. Use a heavy casserole with a lid and place the onions at the bottom.
* Cover with the beans.
* Mix the sugar, molasses, mustard, salt and a good amount of black pepper with 1 cup (250ml) of the bean liquid.
* Pour over the beans, stir gently and cover the casserole.
* Bake for at least 3 hours at 250F (125C) adding more liquid if too dry.
* If the dish is too liquid, remove the lid for the last 30 minutes of cooking.